I think it is important for people to respect and know the history of the old ways of food tradition but be brave enough to push the envelope on execution, fusion, and flavor as it relates to food and food history. I was just introduced to the bean pie two years ago and for most of my life I thought sweet potato pie was the end all be all when it came to custard desserts within the black community. All of a sudden here I was at the farmers market with a life-changing moment of biting into my first bean pie.
As a chef I knew that I had to embark on the journey of telling the story from a different lens. My lens. So I took my adaptation of the Supreme Bean Pie Recipe and added The Queens Fusion to it.
I hope all people, especially my people try a bit of true American Black History In the bean pie. Royal Regards,
-Chef Vicky V
Brule Butter Bean Pie Recipe
- Two cans or 2 cups of cooked navy beans rinsed
- One stick of butter
- Two cans of evaporated milk
- Four eggs
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- A half a teaspoon of clove optional
- 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla
- Three ready to bake pie crust
- Cover rinsed navy beans with water and let cook for two hours.
- Brown one stick of butter and let cool/ get cold
- Once beans are cooked, drain excess water and blend Beans and remaining ingredients in a blender.
- Pour the blended ingredients into your pie shells
- Bake for 50 minutes
- Remove from oven and top with Brulé sugar powder
- Plays back in oven and broil in one minute increments until bubbling
- Let cool completely slice in top with honey whip.
- Serve immediately
*If your sugar melts because of the water Content in your pie. Pre slice your piece and repeat steps 6-9.
For Brulé topping
- 2 cups of sugar
Bake for one minute intervals on 350 until bubbling and amber colored. Let cool, crack and blend again into fine dust. Store for later in an airtight container.
Cinnamon honey butter whip
- One stick of softened butter
- 1/2 cup of whipped honey
- 1/2 cup of marshmallow fluff
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
Combine all ingredients until fully incorporated. Store in fridge